Monday 3 May 2010

Hero to Zero



Surprising as it may seem, this blog is still active! Due to work commitments and so forth, I've had less time to play videogames and fawn over figures, and therefore, less to talk about on here. That has changed somewhat though! As I'm currently limited to handheld formats, I've been playing more games on those, and I've recently found that Phantasy Star Zero is ideally suited to short bursts of gametime.

I used to be a big fan of Phantasy Star Online, and it could easily be one of the contributors to me seriously becoming someone who loves Sega, as opposed to being a mere fan. Unfortunately, all good things come to an end, and eventually it was superseded by Phantasy Star Universe. It was an odd one, it may not have been a "bad" game per say, but nothing felt right about it to me. It seemed like a very different game, but still masqueraded as a Phantasy Star game. I wasn't keen, and didn't stick with it for long.

A year or so ago, Phantasy Star Zero came out for the DS. It sported an anime look this time, whereas Universe was more realistic. I never bothered with it though, Universe had done it's damage. However, I recently decided to give it a try, and I'm actually rather glad that I did.

While my time with it has been short, it seems as if Sega have taken what worked from Universe, added it to Online, and then simplified it. It works perfectly as a handheld version, and I'm looking forward to hopefully trying the multiplayer mode on it. It also isn't limited to local multiplayer only, as many portable games seem to be, so hopefully I'll get to experience that as well, if it's still being played by the masses at this point!

No comments:

Post a Comment