Friday 23 July 2010

Pirates were always cooler


With the current generation of consoles, I've been something of a late adopter. With previous generations, I'd often be in some sort of frenzy, eager to get my grubby mitts on the latest pieces of hardware, and then experience a drought of good games for a lengthy duration, extended even further by the fact I had more than one console to provide for. It wasn't an ideal situation. The 360 has benefited from this, as I waited until the hardware was slightly more reliable, and there was a decent selection of games on offer.

For some reason, one particular game I was especially eager to play was Lost Planet. Everyone I knew advised against it, that it was a sluggish game that had very few saving graces, and an awful final boss. They were right. Despite that, I still enjoyed playing through it. I had left it a bit too long, as everyone on the multiplayer side of things knew every single little thing to do, and I essentially just logged in to die quite quickly and unspectacularly. Despite those gripes, I found myself looking forward to the sequel.

As access to the internet has become something of a rarity for me these days, I've taken longer than planned to actually talk about Lost Planet 2. But, as I've finished it during this time, I'm more well informed than I usually am on whatever I choose to write about.

The most notable thing about Lost Planet 2 is that it's definitely aimed at fans of the original, with very little having changed with how the game plays. It's simply moved onto a much larger scale. It also features online and splitscreen multiplayer, so that aspect involves slightly less death for me. Unfortunately, with the splitscreen, it suffers from the same thing that Resident Evil 5 did, in that it's clearly been made for large HD TVs, so there's no point trying it if you don't have access to one of those. Which is a bit odd, as the campaign mode has been made with multiplayer in mind, to the extent of having a lobby even if you're playing solo.

It's also perhaps worth noting that the plot, or excuse for one, is absolute nonsense. I spent the majority of the cutscenes, of which there are plenty, not really knowing what was going on. Action wise, they're impressive, but they mainly exist to justify whatever it is you're doing, if you actually do know what you're doing and why.

As mentioned previously though, it's only really been made for the fans, the people I knew who disliked the original still aren't especially keen on the sequel. But, this brings to mind something that I love about Capcom. If you enjoy one of their series, it seems a relatively safe bet that you'll enjoy the other games in the series, they don't seem to try and change too much of it to appeal to a different market, which is something that seems a waste of time regardless of the medium. While it could be argued that Resident Evil is the exception to this theory, having changed quite radically in recent years, it fits quite well for their other games. I'm a solid fan of Street Fighter, and know that I'll most likely, without a doubt, enjoy the others, while there are very few Megaman games I've enjoyed, and as they actually do seem the same for the most part, I don't approach that series often, if ever.

This style of development is somewhat rare I feel, with a lot of developers catering more towards wider market appeal. Granted, it's all part of business, so I can't and won't whine too much about how developers "should" do something. Obviously, Capcom have had a lot of time to accrue the sort of revenue required to take such risks, even for sequels of games that didn't do spectacularly, but it's nice all the same that a company will make games for their fans. And that is why I love Capcom. Lost Planet 2, on the other hand, I'm still gradually warming up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment