Thursday 10 December 2009

The World Labyrinth



Well, Christmas is steadily approaching. I've got the usual backlog of games to get through at this time of year, at a time when I'm most likely going to receive at least one extra (not that I'm complaining about that, oh no). Instead, what I'm going to simultaneously rejoice and complain about is the fact that another RPG I really want to play has appeared on the horizon.

For some reason I wasn't expecting another title in the series, but at long last, Etrian Odyssey 3 has been announced and revealed. I was already sold on hearing it, without having heard of the additions this time around, which look to be quite large compared to the second game. Five extra classes have been added this time, with perhaps the best ones being Pirates and Ninjas. Other additions are Princess, Monk and Phalanx, which judging from the picture will be some kind of variation on the Paladin.

The main attraction seems to be sailing. The maps look pretty damn huge for that section, along with quite a few new icons for map making. The thing that really intrigues me about that though is the setting, and what it might mean for this game's particular story. With the first game focused on descending deep down into the earth, then the second focused on ascending a tree into the sky, what could happen with a naval setting? At the moment, I can only assume it's either venturing to the ocean floor, or sailing to the edge of the world. Either sound appealing to me, but then as I said earlier, I'm already sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment