Friday 19 June 2009

For the spirit of the hunt!



So, I've been having a little play around with that Monster Hunter Freedom Unite demo. As with most expansions, it's more of the same with extra content. Before I could get to that though, I had to deal with the abnormally strong glue that Capcom had used to keep the demo discs in the package.

After that obstacle was dealt with, it was onto the demo! My main focus was having a look at new monsters and areas, as such I only tried two out of the three scenarios. First off, I was to hunt a Hypnocatrice in the Great Forest, both of which are new to Unite I believe. I was also able to choose a Felyne companion, which are new to this edition. Rather than being solo all the time, offline players can get assisted by a small cat. I chose Kota to assist me, who was apparently best for close range fighters. Which is just as well as I was using my usual, the Long Sword.

First thing I noticed upon the start of the hunt is that you no longer have to find and then mark a monster, they're on the map right from the start. It saves some time, sure, but it was a feature I liked. Surely part of hunting is, well, hunting something. Anyway, it did enable my intrepid hunter, going by the imposing name of CAPCOM01 to get straight to work. Of course, as it's been a few months since I last played, he spent most of the encounter falling for basic mistakes and wasting some opportunities.

Regardless, CAPCOM01 prevailed. Although I did notice a lack of blood during the attacks. I'm not sure if it's been removed for the demo, and it did make critical hits easier to see, but it was slightly odd nonetheless.

Second hunt was going for a Plum Daimyo Hermitaur in the Old Desert region. This time I went for a Lance, something I've never really used before. My felyne assistant was Ginger, ideal for gunners and mostly used bombs. I just knew it was going to go well. The Hermitaur and their bigger relation, the Ceanataur are probably the monsters I enjoy fighting the most in Freedom 2. Admittedly there's very little skill involved, it usually just involves the two of us trading hits at close range until one collapses, but it's fun!

This time though, it went badly. The Lance is almost a complete opposite of the Long Sword. Instead of evasion, which I'm used to, it's more about solid defence and attacking when the chance is there. I didn't try this though, instead I chose to run at full speed, lance aimed right at the Hermitaur's face. Repeatedly. In the moments between my attacks, my Felyne ran at it while carrying bombs, in some kind of cat themed suicide run. It could have been the best offense if the attacks had connected and I didn't get blown away by the bombs. As expected, I lost that one.

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite probably won't win back anyone who disliked previous entries in the series. But it will provide even more content on top of the staggering amount that already exists. With Capcom's recent attempts to build up awareness of the series and bring in new players, along with multiple games on the way, Monster Hunter could stand a chance of succeeding in the west.

A chance that's well deserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment